The Covie App

Download the new Covie App today to get access to up-to-date, personalised content that is relevant to you and your family.


Apply now for enrolment or contact us if you would like further information about enrolment at Covenant.

Parent Resources

A one-stop-shop for our parents to find everything they need to know.

Helpful Information for Parents

On this page you will find the essential information and answers to some of the common questions. Please visit the Parent Resources page also for all the important links to various portals and information.

On this page: Essentials | General InfoGeneral FAQ

Essential Information


The new Covie App allows you to approve absences* from your mobile. You no longer need to email or call the school or send in a note. 

At approximately 5.00pm on the day your child is absent, you will receive a notification (providing you've enabled notifications) asking you to provide an explanation for the absence. Once you've opened the App, click on the Absences button and select the applicable child who has been absent (see third screen below). Click 'Submit absence explanation' and select the date of absence, then select a reason for the absence from the drop down menu. You will also need to provide a simple explanation. Click submit. 

Only ONE parent needs to submit an absence (even though both parents will receive the notification via the App). 

*The Education Act 1990 requires you to ensure your child attends school each day that instruction is provided unless they are prevented from doing so by sickness or other acceptable reason, and for you to provide an explanation for any absence. The Act requires you to explain your child’s absences within seven days of the occurrence. Failure to do so will result in an unjustified absence being recorded. Please provide an explanation via the Covie App. If you have any concerns that our records are incorrect, please contact the school immediately. 

Please see our Student Attendance Policy for more details.

Arriving Late/Leaving Early (Partial Absence)

Prep - parents of Prep students can proceed directly to Prep to drop off or collect their child.

Junior and Secondary School - the school requires parent approval for all partial absences (see below). When arriving late or leaving early, all Kindergarten to Year 12 students must go to Student Reception to sign-in or out. They will be given a printout showing their time of arrival or departure and the reason. One half of the printout remains at the Office for processing, and the other half is to be handed to their teacher (if arriving late) or retained by the student/parent for their records (if leaving early).

Parents can give their approval by any one of the following ways:

  • before the child arrives/leaves school, send an email to advising that the child will be late/leaving early. Please include your child's year group or class and a reason for the partial absence.
  • send a hard copy note with your child explaining the partial absence.
  • present at Student Reception with your child and sign the printout.
Apply for Extended Leave

If you are planning to take 5 days or more for a family holiday then an Application for Extended Leave - Travel Form needs to be completed. 

Edumate Parent Portal

The portal has a range of useful information for parents regarding the progress, behaviour and attendance of their child at school. Edumate is also where all important medical and carer information is stored. 

All parents are provided with login details for Edumate and it is essential that every parent logs in to the portal to ensure all contact and emergency information about your child is accurate and up-to-date.

The portal is not optimised for use on a mobile device, so please use a PC or similar. 

Edumate Parent Portal

I've lost or forgotten my password

Child Protection concerns

You may become aware of a situation where a child has been, or could be harmed. This may be through maltreatment, or a child’s needs not being met in their context outside school, or even a concern at school.

If you have any concerns of a child protection nature, please contact the Principal or deputy principal as soon as possible. If you wish, you may directly report the matter to ‘FACS’ by ringing the Child Protection Hotline on 132 111.

It is natural to be concerned about the implications of a report for the adults involved. However, we need to work in the best interests of the children we are aware of, and care for. We need to trust the agencies which receive these reports to assess the situation so they can protect children. We want to be part of bringing matters out into the light, so that children are safe, or so that a situation is clarified and resolved.

Sick Bay & Student Illness

The Nurse is available in Sick Bay from 8.30am - 3.00pm each school day.

Students must seek permission from a teacher to present to Sick Bay. If the Nurse decides the student needs to go home, parents will be contacted by the school. The student will need to be signed out of school by the Nurse. 

Students should not SMS or contact parents directly to pick them up.

The school asks parents not to send their child to school when they are infectious. In particular, NSW Health guidelines are that children be kept home until 48 hours after their last symptoms of gastroenteritis. This greatly helps us to stop the spread of infection and protect other students and staff. 

Incorrect Uniforms

Junior School - students should give a note from a parent to their teacher.

Secondary School - before attending their first period of the day, students are to go to Student Reception with a note from a parent explaining the reason for wearing incorrect uniform. The Student Receptionist will issue a one-day Uniform Note which is signed by the Director of Student Wellbeing (or delegate). If a student does not have a note from a parent they will also be issued with a detention. Parents can contact the Director of Student Wellbeing with any issues.

Reminder Of Secondary Uniform Requirements 2021

Photo Permissions

There are many occasions during the year where the school may collect images or recordings of students in keeping with our Privacy Policy and Privacy Statement as updated from time to time. We use many of these for internal school use and in our annual publication of the Yearbook and these uses are covered in the documents above. 

If at any time you would like to change your consent for how the school collects, uses and discloses images of your child in relation to our website, social media or promotional materials, you can do so by completing this form. You may also take a photo of your form and email it to If your consent has not changed, you are not required to do anything. 

If you would like to speak with our Privacy Officer, please contact the Office. 

General Information

Opal Card - new applications, change of address, repeated year

Students who require a new School Opal card or travel pass can apply online. A new application should be submitted if a student is applying for a school travel pass for the first time or requesting an additional pass as a result of a new shared parental responsibility situation (e.g. joint custody).

Students who have changed school/campus, changed address, repeated a year or received an expiry notification from Transport for NSW for their school travel entitlement should re-apply or update their details.

Students who have lost, damaged or stolen Opal cards, should apply for a replacement travel pass.

Where there is a change of distance eligibility based on a student’s grade, the system will automatically update a student’s entitlement if they meet the new criteria. If they do not meet the new eligibility criteria, they will receive an expiry notification via email.

Other detailed transport information can be found here.

Stationery & Technology Requirements

Junior School

Year 3 2022 | Year 4 2022 | Year 5 2022 | Year 6 2022

Secondary School

Year 7 2022 | Year 8 2022 | Year 9 2022 | Year 10 2022 | Year 11 2022

Technology requirements can be found here: Secondary Technology


The Parent Involvement Program (PIP) encourages parents to be involved in the life of the school community. Each family with students from Kindergarten to Year 12 pays a Maintenance Levy that is waived when parents complete 24 hours of volunteer work in a year. 

PIP Information For Parents

PIP Declaration of Hours form

Important Forms & Resources

Information Collection

The Standard Information Collection Form advises you how the information you give us will be used. 

Volunteer Code of Conduct

All volunteers are expected to sign a Volunteer Code of Conduct form to ensure the safety of all members of the school community. This must be completed each year if you are helping at school, on school excursions or event.

Working with Children Check

Working with Children Check information

General FAQ

Who to talk to when...?

In Junior School, if you have questions, concerns or suggestions regarding:

  • your child or some general classroom practice, contact the class teacher
  • a policy or practice in a section of the Junior School, contact the relevant coordinator (Stage 1 - Jenn Dykstra; Stage 2 - Cate Holman; Stage 3 - Mark Eatough) or the Deputy Principal Junior School (Wayne Morton)
  • the curriculum from K-6, contact the Junior School Curriculum Coordinator (Heidi Stead)
  • policy or practice in the whole Junior School, contact the Deputy Principal Junior School 
  • if the issue is of a highly sensitive nature contact the Principal (Melissa Brown)

In Secondary School, if you have questions, concerns or suggestions regarding:

  • your child’s general progress or welfare, contact the Home Class Teacher in the first instance
  • your child’s progress in a particular subject or a question about classroom practice, contact the subject teacher concerned 
  • policy, practice or pastoral care in relation to a section of the Secondary School, contact the relevant Year 7–12 Year Advisor or Stage Coordinator
  • for questions about the Preliminary or HSC Courses contact the Deputy Principal Secondary school (Tim Hewitt) 
  • for policy or practice in a subject area in general, contact the Subject Coordinator 
  • for issues regarding Policy or Practice, or a group of children in the whole Secondary School contact the Deputy Principal Secondary School
  • If the issue is of a highly sensitive nature contact the Principal (Melissa Brown)

Whole of school questions, concerns or suggestions can be directed to:

  • general bus behaviour, contact the Director of Student Wellbeing (Dan Apin)
  • for questions or enquiries about co-curricular activities, contact the Director of Co-Curricular (Silva Mekerdichian)
  • discipline across a number of areas of the school, contact the Director of Student Wellbeing (Dan Apin)
  • Pastoral Care Policy or enquiries about how the school prevents and manages harassment/bullying across the School, contact Director of Student Wellbeing
  • for enquiries in the area of careers, contact the Deputy Principal Secondary School (Tim Hewitt)
  • school curriculum approach and delivery, contact the Deputy Principal Secondary School (Tim Hewitt) or Deputy Principal Junior School (Wayne Morton)
  • Learning Hub and its resources, contact the relevant Teacher Librarian (Junior School - Robyn Watson; Secondary School - Silva Mekerdichian)
  • enrolments and related issues, contact the Registrar (Wendy Boase)
  • Parent Involvement Program, community relations or fundraising, contact the Office
  • fees and other financial matters or maintenance of the buildings and grounds, contact the Business Manager (Andrew Lowry)
  • General administrative matters (e.g. bus passes, book lists, etc.), contact the Office
  • health and safety risks should be reported to any staff member, or can be raised with the relevant Deputy Principal if the matter is delicate or complex

any concern or suggestion can be made using the feedback form.

Where do I find...?
  • Forms can be accessed here >
  • Letters to parents can only be accessed via the Covie App > Links > Letters to parents.  
Where to park?

Parents can park in Dell Street, Waldon Road or Bundaleer Street. 

Senior students can park in Waldon Road. 

Visitors can use the four dedicated visitor parking spots in the top car park (at the end of Dell Street). 

Visitors coming onto the school grounds, including parents helping at school (e.g. canteen, Cafe Covie, class reading groups), must sign-in at the School Office and wear the printout ID label.

How do I send a message to a student at school?

Call the School Office on 8459 4200. Let the Office staff know:

  • Name of child 
  • Year Group or Class 
  • Your message 

Wherever possible, please try to send these messages to the Office before lunchtime. Please note that we cannot guarantee that messages received after 2.00pm will get to the student before the end of the day. 

The Office team will endeavour to pass on the message to your child. Naturally this depends on sport, excursions and changes to location of classes.

Mobile Phones

Students should only use mobile phones before they arrive at school or after school finishes. Please do not contact your child via mobile phone in school hours. All communication must go via the School Office.


Students are not to bring skateboards to school. 


Bicycles may be stored in the bike racks located next to the Agriculture plot inside the Dell Street gate. Please note that students will need to bring their own locks.